Construction projects offer financial opportunities for all parties involved, benefiting both construction companies and property owners by providing work and increasing property value. Given the substantial financial stakes involved, it is crucial to protect your rights throughout the project. At Smythe & Jones, our experienced construction law attorneys can assist you with various legal issues that may arise, including:
- Establishing Construction Companies
- Drafting Business Contracts for Construction Companies
- Drafting Contracts for Construction Projects
- Resolving Disputes with General Contractors
- Resolving Disputes with Subcontractors
- Resolving Disputes with Homeowners
- Addressing Construction Payment Disputes
- Handling Contractor Negligence Disputes
- Construction Collections
- Pursuing Claims against Bonds
- Managing Lien Claims
- Resolving Construction Disputes
- Representing Clients in Construction Litigation
At Smythe & Jones PLLC, we understand that construction projects can give rise to various disputes and conflicts. We strive to efficiently resolve such issues and take proactive steps to prevent disputes whenever possible.
Regrettably, it’s a common occurrence for homeowners and contractors to forego formal written agreements, instead relying on bids or invoices. This practice has resulted in numerous lawsuits due to misunderstandings that could have been avoided if the parties had clarified their expectations from the outset. To prevent such conflicts, it’s crucial to include specific construction tasks in writing, written change orders for any work beyond the original contract, an attorney’s fees clause, payment dates and schedules, and a total project cost not to exceed. If you’re a homeowner and a contractor took your deposit but failed to complete or poorly executed the work, you can seek legal action against them and their bond if available.
On the other hand, if you’re a contractor and a homeowner refuses to pay you for your agreed-upon work, you can file a lien on the property where the work was carried out to secure payment.
STEPS TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS IN A CONSTRUCTION PROJECT
Failing to take the necessary steps to protect your rights in a construction project can result in significant financial losses or legal liabilities. To safeguard your interests when undertaking residential or commercial construction projects, consider the following steps:
- Insist on written agreements for work, timelines, payment terms, and liens.
- Have all contracts reviewed by a legal professional before signing.
- Construction contracts can be complex and may contain confusing language that hides unfair terms.
- Verify that all contractors and subcontractors have proper licenses and good reputations.
- Document the project with photographs and thorough notes to track progress and unforeseen delays.
Regardless of the size or complexity of your construction project, consulting with a skilled construction lawyer is vital. Construction projects, contracts, and disputes involve technical laws and evidence, requiring an attorney who comprehends the regulations and legal concepts specific to the construction industry. Contact us without delay to discuss how our services can assist you.
HOW WE CAN SUPPORT YOUR CONSTRUCTION CASE
A qualified construction lawyer can provide valuable assistance throughout every phase of your project, from initial agreements to final payment. Our legal team can help you in the following ways, among others:
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations to minimize the risk of legal conflicts causing interruptions or delays.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts to eliminate unfavorable terms.
- Represent you in breach of contract claims.
- Ensure you receive proper payment and avoid unnecessary financial losses.
- Mitigate legal liability whenever possible.
- Resolve disputes through mediation, arbitration, or litigation when necessary.